San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato ? 🤔 Good question right? Through the following article, we will show you reasons to visit San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato so that you know which one to visit on your future visit. To be fair, it will be a difficult choice as we love both cities that offer different plans.
Before going into battle we leave you with our two articles in case you want to collect more information.
- What to see in San Miguel de Allende
- What to see in Guanajuato capital
- (We also invite you to read this post what to see in León Guanajuato (the capital of footwear and the largest city in the State with its spectacular International Balloon Festival )
❤️ San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato
It is an open secret that the State of Guanajuato is our great right eye in the entire Mexican Republic. We are delighted with how they treat us and the experiences they provide us. After several trips with annual frequency, I think we are in a position to choose which of the two Mexican cities we liked the most and which we recommend you visit by analyzing its main places of interest.
The two cities have similar styles within their differences.
- They are very safe cities to visit both day and night.
- Economic cities for the European traveler.
- A common gastronomy because they are in the same state. You know… Guanajuato does know .
- Colonial cities full of history, culture and places of interest.
- Nearby activities full of active tourism .
Without further ado, Guanajuato vs San Miguel de Allende.
I have to confess that for a time I was obsessed and dreamed of observing Guanajuato from El Pípila . But here I show you my reasons for visiting Guanajuato.
- Romantic city. Ideal for walking, meeting, and touring as a couple. Did you know that they have the alley of the kiss ?. Go with your beloved and leave him / her breathless!
- More than 3,000 alleys make us feel that we are in a great hive. A swarm of full-blown streets.
- Cervantes capital of America. Visit the museum dedicated to the figure of Cervantes and photograph yourself with Quijote and Sancho Panza.
- Visit the interior of the Juárez Theater to understand why Guanajuato is the Cultural State of Mexico.
- “The truth will set you free”. Climb the steps of the University of Guanajuato to understand that wisdom and independence or freedom go hand in hand.
- Go inside a mine, walk through the tunnels of the city. Did you know that Guanajuato is the most beautiful underground city in the world? I’m not saying it, the Queen of England herself says it. Discover it with this ATV Tour around the city
- Alhóndiga de Granaditas . Experience firsthand how the conquest of the city was conceived.
- He dreams of appearing in one of the Santo films visiting the Guanajuato Mummy Museum.
- Visit the Hidalgo Market and taste a delicious (and spicy) macaw.
- Tour the bicentennial park and its curious and interesting museums.
- Sing out loud “Beautiful and beloved Mexico if I die far from you, let them say that I am asleep and bring me here, let them say that I am asleep and bring me here, beautiful and beloved Mexico if I die far from you …” Jorge Negrete’s birth house and statue in Guanajuato.
- Go out partying in a group with the callejoneadas of Guanajuato . A magical show with certain similarities to the tunes of Spain. A good opportunity to see the best-known alleys.
- In the surroundings, visit the bowels of the mountain in the Valencian mines . One of the most profitable places in New Spain during the time of the viceroyalty.
📍 You can take tours in the city of Guanajuato and its surroundings such as horseback riding through the canyon, an experience that we did and we were amazed. ➡️ More information about the tours here.
🏨 Where to stay in Guanajuato city
- The accommodation we like the most is the Casa Virreyes hotel. Perfect location, in the Plaza de la Paz, next to the Basilica of Guanajuato. The rooms are very spacious and the beds very comfortable. The only drawback is that it does not have an elevator. But otherwise perfect and the treatment with the receptionist very good. If the elevator is something essential for you, I recommend other places.
- The hotel offer in Guanajuato is very wide. There are from double rooms at the Hotel Murillo Plaza that are quite cheap and interesting as well as boutique and charming hotels such as the Hotel Boutique 1850 with an excellent score. Accommodation for all budgets and tastes!
👉 San Miguel de Allende
We start with a video made by Vero4travel in the city.
💡 Did you know that you can take a free tour of the city? More information about the free tour of the Mexican architectural jewel.
- World Heritage.
- Sanctuary of Atotonilco, the Sistine Chapel of Mexico.
- Chosen as the best city in the world to visit by Conde Nast Traveler.
- More international environment and with a greater foreign presence.
- Corn Christ (made with pre-Hispanic learning) in the parish of San Miguel de Arcangel.San Miguel de Arcangel Parish
- Tour the fountains and ditches of San Miguel de Allende
- Enjoy its authentic canteens.
⛪ Art and culture in San Miguel
- Ignacio Ramírez Cultural Center “El Nigromante”.
- Inside the aforementioned cultural center, enjoy the geometry room entitled “Life and Work of the Generalisimo Don Ignacio de Allende” by the great David Alfaro Siqueiros.
- Artisan market.
- Taste a tumbagón to find out if your partner is unfaithful or not. Not suitable for doubtful !!. Where to buy them? In the main viewpoint of the city. (For more information, I leave you with this video).
- Have a drink of spirit water at Botica Santa Teresa, a pharmacy that dates back to 1874.
- Find the best angle and photograph yourself in the Aldama brothers street.
- Enjoy art at the La Aurora factory.
- Learn about the flora and fauna of the charco del ingenio park. And take a photo like “speedy gonzales”Charco del Ingenio San Miguel de Allende Guanajuato
I honestly believe that the “fight” is very close, right? Let’s try to show more aspects to determine whether to visit San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato.
✅ How many days do I need to visit them? What is your size? What city has more things to see?
San Miguel de Allende is a smaller city and where its main attractions (Except the Sanctuary of Atotonilco) are close to the main square. If you make the most of your stay and walk quickly, you can understand seeing the city in one day is feasible. Guanajuato is a more complete, diverse and larger city than San Miguel de Allende. One of the aspects that I liked the most about this city is that it has both a daytime and a nighttime atmosphere since it is a university city.
❤️ Which is more beautiful San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato, which one to visit?
Honestly, it would be illogical not to visit both cities as they are part of the same state. The objective of this San Miguel de Allende vs Guanajuato was to show you the differences between one city and another. If I had to choose between these two cities, (the drums sound …) I would subjectively opt for Guanajuato since for years it has always been my traveling goal.
The university charm, the crowds around the main kiosk, the category and class of the Juárez theater, watching the sunset from the Mirador del Pípila, enjoying its nightlife and seeing the tribute to Cervantes on “every corner” are sufficient reasons to understand that the reasons for visiting Guanajuato are incalculable .
Finally, although this comparison has been between Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende, if there is a small town that stole our hearts all, it was Dolores Hidalgo, Cradle of National Independence , for my personal taste, the most beautiful of all with the sincere smiles . Although it is also true that you loved visiting Mineral de Pozos , one of the 5 magical towns in the State.
Where to sleep in San Miguel de Allende.
In this city we especially like two accommodations.
- The boutique hotel La Puertecita. The rooms are huge, I have not seen anything like it. The environment is unbeatable and the accommodation is one of the best since it is in a colonial house from the 19th century.
- The purple. Unbeatable views of the church and like the little door a colonial accommodation but the difference is that all its furniture is quite modern. It is worth staying in such a lodging in a city like San Miguel de Allende to enjoy the greatness of its architecture.
Video State of Guanajuato.
We leave you with a beautiful video so you can enjoy the benefits of visiting the entire State of Guanajuato.
Have you been to either of these two cities? Which one do you prefer, San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato? Leave us a comment with your experience. We’d love to hear what you think.You may also be interested in Guanajuato:
- San Miguel de Allende or Guanajuato, which one to visit?
- Guanajuato city:
- San Miguel de Allende:
- Magic towns:
- Other places to visit in Guanajuato
- Plan your trip:
- 20% direct discount on travel insurance to Mexico. (10% on click + 10% using the code VERO4TRAVEL)
- ¡Holafly 4G card with discount !. Internet wherever you travel.
- Best card to travel without commissions. It’s Visa, recharge and free.
- Guanajuato Hotel Deals
- Change euros to pounds online. They send it to your home. Best exchange rate. Use the code VEROTRAVEL to get a discount.