Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (June 20, 2020)
Location: Mexican State of Guanajuato
Event: The Embassy has received reports of ongoing unofficial roadblocks in the municipalities of Celaya, Juventino Rosas, Cortázar, Dolores Hidalgo, Apaseo el Alto, Apaseo el Grande, Salvatierra, Tarimoro, San Luis de la Paz, and San Jose Iturbide. Active gunfire is reported in San Luis de la Paz.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid highways in these municipalities until the unofficial roadblocks are cleared.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55–8526–2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
E-Mail: [email protected]
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.