Yuriria means “Lake of blood” and is of Purépecha origin; It was named like this due to the attractive colors of its waters, which with the reflection of the sun form greenish, reddish, and even scarlet tones, similar to that of blood.
In 1540, the Augustinian Fray Pedro de Olmos founded Yuririhapundaro, making it one of the oldest towns in the beautiful state of Guanajuato. It was inhabited by Chichimecas and its flourishing was thanks to the support of Fray Diego de Chávez, who undertook the task of supporting the construction of the first hydraulic work in Latin America: the Taramatacheo Canal, today is known as the Yuriria Lagoon.
Yuriria has an incomparable biosphere, ideal for those who love nature. Explore the green surroundings of this Magical Town where different species of animals live, such as the skunk, the coyote, the Alicante, the lizard, and the opossum.
She joined the Pueblos Mágicos program in 2012. Located in the south of the state and offering an interesting tour of great architectural structures from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The city was founded by the Augustinian missionary Fray Pedro de Olmos in 1540; however, according to the proof of the Royal Certificate, it was in 1560 that it was erected as San Pablo Yuririhapúndaro. Yuriria is a name of Purépecha origin, derived from "Yuririapúndaro", a word that means "Lake of blood"
Temple and Former Augustinian Convent of San Pablo: This monumental building, erected from 1550 and completed in 1599, was founded by the Augustinians with the mission of evangelizing the region where Michoacán is located today. Laguna de Yuriria: It was the first hydraulic work of magnitude in Latin America. It formed in the lower part of the basin surrounded by volcanic elevations. Convent of San Pedro and San Pablo.
On January 4, the Feast of the Precious Blood of Christ is held with Dance of Shepherds and Indians and a night parade of allegorical cars with religious passages accompanied by Wind Bands. Every August 31, the Lord of the Precious Blood is extracted from his temple and a tour of the city is made accompanying the image until reaching the Parish of the city.
This Magical Town communicates, to the north, with Irapuato, Salamanca and Celaya, using highways no. 45, 43 and 51; with Salvatierra and Acámbaro